RV Propane Tank Cover: How to Travel Safely When Using A Propane Tank

Protect your propane tanks for RV with debris and UV-resistant RV propane tank cover.  It is essential to keep the LP tank covered and safe to protect from various elements. A damaged one could be fatal if it explodes. This is why you need to take preventive measures to ensure the safety of your family. 

Most RV owners use propane for cooking, heat, refrigeration, or hot water. Considering that regulations can change any time, you need to be updated with the current regulation. Everything on the RV checklist is vital, particularly on taking care of the propane tank.

The sizes of RV tanks vary. You need to refer to the tank sizes according to the number of pounds that the propane carries instead of gallons. Typically, you should fill the tank up to 80 percent capacity. This means leaving 20 percent for gaseous expansion for safety cushion.

Make sure you are familiar with the features of the propane tank, as they can have an impact on the safety of the propane system. This also helps determine how to manage and maintain the system properly. This also helps you determine the right RV propane tank cover to buy.

Propane Characteristics

If there is a white fog coming from the propane tank, this means a leakage problem. It can be due to low-temperature propane vapor. Do not repair this condition by yourself as it can result in frostbite.

Safety and Inspections

The tank you use needs to be durable enough to hold the pressure necessary to keep propane in its liquid state. Some potential points for leaks in the propane include weakened valve connectors, scrapes, gouges, rust, and dents.

Pressure Gauge. This refers to how full the tank is in terms of fractions, which are 1/4, 3/4, or 1/2 full. As the tank volume changes, the temperature variations also affect the pressure. Remember that these readings may be incorrect.

Connectors. You can find a variety of fittings and connections that connect to the propane tank a well as the propane system inside your recreational vehicle. You need to inspect this on a periodic basis. When it comes to your RV, it is advisable to conduct an annual inspection, particularly for its system. On the other hand, some tanks need inspections every five years.

Tank Color. This feature may seem to be something like a cosmetic concern or a choice of the manufacturer. However, the color of a tank is also important. Know that dark colors easily absorb heat while light ones reflect heat. It is better for a tank to reflect heat, so make sure not to try painting your tanks a dark color. Remember this even if it would go well with your RV.

Traveling with Propane

RVers know that driving means it is a must to turn off the propane. But still, many people forget to turn off their propane tanks before traveling. They also forget one essential feature, which is an RV propane tank cover. While it is a risk travelling with the valve of your propane tank open, it is also considered illegal. Make sure to take these into consideration for safe travel.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s